When it comes to protecting your home with a high-quality security system, cameras are one of the first and most important lines of defense. They can record footage of unsafe or suspicious activity, alert you when motion is detected, and can even contain two-way intercom systems that allow you to hear what’s going on and speak through the camera. Other cameras have Ultra-High Definition (HD) and night vision, large fields of view, or high capacity. With so many options, it can get confusing as to which features are really necessary. It’s important only to get what you need for your goals and not be swayed by offers of fancy, but unnecessary features that will put you over budget.
- For starters, a good security camera should have motion detection, allowing the camera to start recording when it “sees” something move.
- Working in tandem with the motion detection feature are smartphone notifications. This lets you have customizable alerts sent to your phone when something happens on the camera.
- Footage quality is particularly important, as you don’t want any onscreen details to appear fuzzy. At the very least, a camera should be high-definition in picture quality so that what it captures is clear, while the higher picture quality options of 4K and 8K options are helpful for zooming in on an image or video and still retaining clarity.
- For outdoor cameras, consider night vision. You want at least 50 feet of infrared visibility.
- When it comes to audio, you should be able to hear what’s going on in-camera. At minimum, make sure that audio is recorded, and if you want to be able to speak through the camera, make sure it has two-way communication.
- Cameras typically store footage in the cloud, allowing for remote access, while some store everything on a micro SD card, whichever you prefer.
- The camera lens should be able to capture a wide angle view, between 130 and 180 degrees on either side of the camera, so that you can see as much as possible in the frame.
- The camera should blend in nicely with your home design, while still being visible to visitors and potential burglars.
A home security system camera is essential to being fully aware of what’s going on around your home, and selecting the right features is often overwhelming. At Aaron’s Home Tech, our professional experts can help you with all these decisions. Contact us now for all your home security camera system needs in Greensboro, GA!